Payroll giving

Looking for a tax effective way to give?

Payroll giving allows you to give as you earn. It is a great way to make regular donations to us straight from your salary, allowing us to make sure that Dorset residents don’t face cancer alone. It’s easy to set up and your regular donations are taken from your pay in a tax-effective way. We receive the donation and the tax that you would have paid if you had made the donation any other way.

It’s so simple. You don’t need to give your bank details. And by choosing to give as you earn via Payroll Giving, we automatically receive the tax you would have paid on the donation. We don’t need to claim Gift Aid back on this, so it’s less admin for us, and there’s no Direct Debit needed from you!

How do I sign up?

If you’re an employee – speak to your employer about setting up a monthly gift.

If you’re an employer – an approved Payroll Giving agency can easily set a scheme up for you. You can find a list of Government-approved agencies here.


How can I donate to The Dorset Cancer Care Foundation through my pay?

If you earn a salary or pension and your employer deducts Pay As You Earn (PAYE) tax, you can donate in your pay.

If your employer already supports payroll giving, speak to them about setting up a monthly gift.  If not, they can easily set up the scheme through one of the HMRC-approved Payroll Giving Agencies

When is the first deduction taken from my pay?

Usually, it will start on the next payroll day, but if you are signing up towards the end of the month deductions are likely to start the next but one payroll day.

How do I know that you have received my donation?

Your donation is very important to us, and we will write to thank you. You will know the deduction has started as it will appear on your payslip.

Is there a minimum or maximum amount I must give?

No, there’s no upper or lower limit, however, we recommend that you give at least £5 gross per month.

How is Payroll Giving different to a Direct Debit (Gift Aid)?

Payroll Giving is taken straight from your gross (pre-tax) pay so therefore ineligible under the Gift Aid scheme and saves us additional admin costs. If you are a 40% or 45% taxpayer, Payroll Giving is the only way we can automatically receive all your tax on a donation.

Can I stop giving when I want?

Yes, by notifying your payroll department directly.

What happens to my Payroll Giving deduction if I leave my job?

Payroll Giving automatically stops when you leave your job, but we hope that you will continue to give to us at your next job, you will need to set this up again as your donation is not transferable.

Is there an administration fee?

Yes, but only a small one. Your employer will use a Payroll Giving Agent (like a charity bank) to distribute the funds. The Payroll Giving Agencies are charities that need to make a small charge to cover their operating costs. Some employers pay this fee on your behalf, so we receive your full donation.

If your employer doesn’t pay the fee, the Payroll Giving Agent will deduct it from your donation before passing it on to us. This will be between a 2% and 4% charge.

I pay tax at the higher rate of 40% or 45%, how does this affect tax relief on payroll donations?

You will receive tax relief at the highest rate of tax you pay – each pound you give will generate £1.66 if you are 40% or £1.82 if you are 45% taxpayer.

Can I still give through my pension?

Yes, if you receive an occupational pension and your pension provider deducts tax through the PAYE system, you are still eligible for the scheme. Simply ask your occupational pension provider to donate from your pension before tax has been deducted.

All you need to do to get started is to contact your Finance/HR team to establish if they operate a Payroll Giving Scheme, if they do, they will complete the necessary sign-up process and tell us when it is up and running.  If they don’t, please ask them to consider signing up through or alternatively perhaps you would consider donating monthly by setting up a Direct Debit.

If you have any further questions, please contact our team at or call 07849 249250 and we’d be more than happy to help.